Some call it Nirvana. Others call it Awakening, Enlightenment, Realization, Oneness, Satori, Yoga, Liberation. For me, it is nothing mystical or grandiose, but something utterly mundane and ordinary. Whenever I hurt, I would examine the thoughts that I am believing in. And when I realize that those thoughts are untrue, I am left with nothing but Peace and Joy.



Google

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Night's Dream

I was in Georgetown, Penang walking around somewhere near Light Street or Farquhar Street. Suddenly, I remembered that I hadn't contacted my girlfriend for a long time - weeks maybe. I recall that we have not been on good terms lately. I love her a lot and miss her dearly. Fear arose in my heart that maybe she no longer wants to be with me and could have found someone else. My heart sank as I began to think of looking for a phone.

Quite suddenly I woke up - I was lying in bed and the time was around 7.30 am. It was just a dream. My girlfriend is my wife and she is at that moment having a bath. What relief I felt!

It occured to me then, that even while sleeping and dreaming, thoughts still arise and when I believe them, it causes suffering. And I also notice that, to the mind - there is no difference between the waking state and the sleeping state. The mind, with its childlike innocence is so gullible - it belives what it thinks. In sleep, the mind believes the thoughts that arise and the same thing occurs in the waking state. If I do not question my thoughts, I have no choice but to believe them - even in this waking state.

All my suffering is caused by believing those thoughts which are untrue. And they are untrue - only most of the time!

No comments: