Some call it Nirvana. Others call it Awakening, Enlightenment, Realization, Oneness, Satori, Yoga, Liberation. For me, it is nothing mystical or grandiose, but something utterly mundane and ordinary. Whenever I hurt, I would examine the thoughts that I am believing in. And when I realize that those thoughts are untrue, I am left with nothing but Peace and Joy.



Google

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Introduction to my experience with Byron Katie

So far I've read Byron Katie's Books: "Loving What Is" and "I need Your Love - Is It True".
I've also listened to the 6 CD audio set entitled "Your Inner Awakening" also by Byron Katie.
And also watched all her videoclips on You Tube.

At first I was skeptical about Byron Katie's The Work. I've studied Eckhart Tolle, Tony Parsons, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Ramesh Balsekar, Wayne Liquorman , the Ashtavakra Gita and the Sedona Method.

The three Teachers which resonates with me most are Byron Katie, Eckhart Tolle and Tony Parsons. Among the three, Tony Parson's is the purest form of reality - no concepts, nothing. Eckhart Tolle introduces quite a lot of concepts, but his teaching on living in the present moment rings true for me. However, Byron Katie is the only teacher who teaches that we should deal with thoughts and not just ignore them. How true.

I could achieve stillness by being present in the now (as per Eckhart Tolle), or, by seeing that this-is-all-there-is (as per Tony Parsons), but that is only good so long as I do not interact with other people. Once I start to meet people, the stillness is lost. The thoughts come back and along with the thoughts, the feelings also come back. That is because, when meeting people, I need to think in order to hold a conversation. I can't talk without thoughts.

I have applied Byron Katie's the Work quite successfully and found much decrease in suffering.
Thoughts scream to be heard, and unless we have neutralized them, suffering comes whenever a thought arises. The way to neutralize is to see the lies in the thoughts. My feelings guide me as to when I am wrongly believing a false thought. We need to deal with the thoughts until they let go of us - I see that now. Thoughts cannot be ignored.