Some call it Nirvana. Others call it Awakening, Enlightenment, Realization, Oneness, Satori, Yoga, Liberation. For me, it is nothing mystical or grandiose, but something utterly mundane and ordinary. Whenever I hurt, I would examine the thoughts that I am believing in. And when I realize that those thoughts are untrue, I am left with nothing but Peace and Joy.



Google

Friday, June 22, 2007

Road Rage?

This morning, as I was driving to work, a black car tail-gated me. The road was too narrow for me to allow the car to overtake, so I had to tolerate the driver. I felt a surge of anger arise. The thoughts that was playing in my mind was: "He should not drive so near my car." I then deliberately stepped on the acclerator and sped up to increase the gap between the black car behind me and my car. I was going really fast and my heartbeat increased. When I almost reached my office, the road widened and the black car was able to overtake me. Thereafter, I felt bad and regretful. "I should not have lost my cool," I thought. "The car should not have tailgated me."

Then, I did The Work mentally as I walked from the carpark to my office. "I should not have lost my cool". I asked "Is it true?" I felt inside what it was to believe that thought and it felt horrible. Then, I did the turnaround: "I should have lost my cool - because that is reality - and I am suffering because I oppose reality". The unpleasant feelings of regret and anger evaporated!

Then, the thought arose "I shouldn't have driven so fast" and the feelings of regret and anger came back. Immediately the turnaround arose in my mind: "I should have driven fast - because that was what happened" - and the unpleasant feelings left.

It was so simple and clear. I could sense that with the stressful thoughts: "I should not have driven so fast" and "I shouldn't have lost my cool" - there was a lot of suffering - painful feelings.

And at the same time, I could also sense the alternative thoughts "I should have driven fast" and "I should have lost my cool" - whereby the painful feelings were non-existent. And I did not have to do anything, the mind clings onto the less stressful thought almost automatically. The Work is self-working!

I always like less suffering and all I need to do is point my thoughts in the right direction and it follows the path of least-suffering. Incredible!

Do I want to be right or do I want peace? I say, forget about being right - go for peace!

No comments: